Wednesday, November 13, 2013

From Diapers to Diapers (the old people kind)

It’s been two months since we left home and I miss it terribly. Our travels, of both physical and spiritual, have been incredible to say the least. It’s been like living inside the novel Nadja, by Andre Breton, you don’t quite understand the organization, but in the end everything makes sense. It was like our journey; it seemed strange and incoherent, but in the end I get it. We became better sisters, better friends, and better Christians. You believed again and I learned to understand.

When we left you I began to “miss both the land and the person” I had become there. I didn’t think leaving Georgia would bring me closer to God or you. In fact, to my ultimate surprise, it did both. Funny, l thought that leaving the Bible belt for the land of sin itself (figuratively speaking), Miami, would only tear down what we had been building. Crazy though, Miami made things even better.

We learned how to trust each other, to be honest and caring, but most importantly we learned how to be children again. I realized that life itself is one big crazy adventure, one that we need each other for. It’s like that song from The Parent Trap: Let’s stick together,yeah yeah yeah. I mean it makes sense; sisters taking on the world!

What couldn’t we conquer?

We had overcome our jealousy, so why not overcome our insecurities or overcome our misguided irritations at mom or life itself? I mean we’ve got God and each other, so what else do we really need?



So, whadya say sis, do I have a friend in you?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This semester’s blog project has been really great! It brought out a new side of me/writing that I didn’t know existed, so that’s always an interesting experience. I refer to Nadja a lot, in my blogs, and I think that the novel fits quite well in accordance to the blogs: Nadja can be confusing in pieces, but in whole it is an adventure and exploration of not just the plotline, but of different texts interacting. The blogs were the same way; several different elements came together to make a single post and in the end, the blogs themselves come together to make a giant web of interconnectivity. Referring to other students’ blogs also gave me new ideas and blog content that I know I wouldn’t have come up with on my own; it really actually turned my blog in several directions that hadn’t occurred to me.
      In the critical text, Image Music Text, by Barthes, it is mentioned that “The Text can be approached, experienced” and the blog does a great job at reinforcing this (Barthes 158). I tend to just think of words at concrete, but they can be interacted with and changed. By creating new texts (be that changing the color or adding a hyperlink), the experience also changes.
      I liked that the blogs were anonymous, because I felt like I could more honest and creative. When I know that people will know I’ve written something (even if people don’t actually know me personally) I unwillingly begin to alter my writing based on their possible perceptions. It’s like an embarrassing secret or something; the secret alone might be interesting, but by sometimes putting a name to it, it either changes the experience of knowing it or the perception of the person. So yes, basically I like anonymity.
      I suppose one thing I ‘struggled’ with was getting the critical text references to flow and make sense within each post. I tried to not make them seem randomly placed (which they weren’t), but it was also fun trying to make them piece together.
      I really enjoyed picking out pictures for each post! I have thousands of pictures that I’ve taken and never used, mostly because they’re pretty random, but with the blogs I was able to. I tend to take a lot of random pictures that never make sense, but they worked nicely with my posts.
      Also, just using my imagination in general was exciting! All of these stories about my sister and I are completely made up and imagining them was weird, but fun at the same time. I usually have a very vivid imagination when it comes to reading books, but when it comes to my own life I couldn’t really just create fake scenarios. However, with these blogs, I was able to just completely write whatever I imagined, so it was also an imagination growing process?
      All in all, I would have definitely liked these blogs to be more prevalent! Meaning I would have liked to do more, but it would be difficult I guess to do more with all the reading. But by even doing them at all, I am now encouraged and excited to continue making more!

      Delete