Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Toto...We're In Miami

We climbed down the trees, resigning to the fact the heaven couldn't be reached via branches.
"Let's go on a crazy adventure!" Great, here we go again with the talk. She constantly nagged me that we needed to see the world before we started our lives. "It will be a last hoorah before we inevitably go our s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e ways." She got me. Every time. I hated the talk of us being apart. The sadness of her lies is what made me give in...we were going.
Light. Good Lord light everywhere. It had paralyzed my vision and overtaken all of my senses. I couldn't move, think, or breathe. As my eyes adjusted and sweat began rollinggg off me like rain, I said to her (in the best imitating voice I could manage):
We...were in...Miami. If Georgia was heaven, did that make this h e l l? It felt like a sinfully sweet paradise.  
We stopped at a little Cuban Cafe to get some cafecito con tostado. We sipped our drinks. She was perusing pamphlets of local attractions as I soaked up this place. 
Music filled the air with a sort of rich history that made "the young and the old swing their hips and mouth the words." Miami had so many unexplored corners that seemed to be inviting, yet strange...
Suddenly my sense of belonging was questioned. The awareness that this place was not home, yet it felt so warmly different and inviting was unnerving for me. She liked it. She practically threw herself into it; I tried. One bite couldn't hurt...right?

Miami...what a sinfully delicious paradise indeed.





1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Wandering Wanderer’s blog post. The imagery really comes alive in the post. Especially with lines like “light everywhere” and the description of “paralyzing one’s eyes”. I moved to Florida after living in New York and I distinctly remember the light blinding me as well. I do think the writer could have included more here. They were coming all the way from Georgia to Miami. I do not exactly what season this was but it would have been helpful to include details about the weather as well. I wondered what the author felt once he reached Miami’s humid temperatures. I know she says she sweats but I think there could have been more detail. I also really appreciated the emotions the author included in the post. It is hard to convey these kinds of emotions in a simple text post. She shows that she is annoyed at the friend but dreads separation.

    The video was a fun aspect to the blog post. I have not seen that movie in such a long time so it was nice to re-watch that and reminisce. It is also such an iconic scene. Everyone knows that movie and especially that scene. The author made a smart move connecting her blog post to such a big movie. I really loved the imagery concerning the Cuban cafĂ©. It made me miss Miami. At the end, the author talks about her worries about being in a city like Miami. I like that she included what she doubted, exposing herself a bit. Also, in the end, she decides to throw herself into the wind. I think this post shows how people should be when they are visiting new cities. It’s important to travel but even more important, to take advantage of where you’re traveling to. I’ve gone to so many places where I see others just stay in and talk to their loved ones back home and not experience the life of the city.

    ReplyDelete